Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A moment to brag

It may be narcissistic, but I'd like to take a moment to brag a little bit... about myself.

I was just awarded first place for Best Military Reporting by the Society of Professional Journalists — Utah Chapter for Division B Newspapers.

They commented, "The writer sheds light on an often-overlooked facet of the military experience and, by sharing one soldier’s tale, offers hope for those who experience troubles after having served their country."

It was for a story I wrote about my amazing father called "Veterans suffer pains of war"(it's on page 6) and how Post Traumatic Stress Disorder plagues veterans long after they leave the war zone.

I'm constantly amazed at how brave the men and women of the military are. Since my dad came home, I realized that bravery doesn't end when they unpack their bags. Every morning my father wakes is another moment he proves his bravery.

Dad, I owe you more than you know. It may sound cheesy, but I dedicate this award to you. If it hadn't been for you urging me to try one more thing I would have never found journalism. Thank you for letting me write a story on you and thank you for being my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment